The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political membership organization, which
- acts after study and member agreement to achieve solutions in the public interest on key community issues at all government levels
- builds citizen participation in the democratic process.
- engages communities in promoting positive solutions to public policy issues through education and advocacy.
We believe in
- respect for individuals
- the value of diversity
- the empowerment of the grassroots, both within the League and in communities
- act with trust, integrity and professionalism
- operate in an open and effective manner to meet the needs of those we serve, both members and the public
- take the initiative in seeking diversity in membership
- acknowledge our heritage as we seek our path to the future.
Membership in the League is open to all. League programs have sufficient breadth to appeal to a wide diversity of interests and members but need to be appropriately marketed to diverse audiences to ensure the full participation
of all communities.
The LWV, in both its values and practices,
affirms its belief and commitment to diversity
and pluralism, which means there shall be no
barriers to participation in any activity of the
LWV on the basis of gender, race, creed, age,
sexual orientation, national origin or disability.
The LWV recognizes that diverse perspectives
are important and necessary for responsible
and representative decision making. The
LWV subscribes to the belief that diversity and
pluralism are fundamental to the values it upholds
and this inclusiveness enhances the organization's
ability to respond more effectively
to changing conditions and needs.
The LWV affirms its commitment to reflecting
the diversity of America in its Board,
staff and programs.